There are some dishes that come together effortlessly and are like a party of flavors in your mouth. Tomato and pesto is one such combination. Quality ingredients shine and provide easy snack, lunch or appetizer.
I found some cherry tomatoes at our local supermarket. They were sweet and fresh and paired with pesto made for a savory side to soft scrambled eggs. They made the breakfast that much more special.
If you are planning a summer brunch with friends, this gotta feature on your menu. Paired with a salad and rose there is nothing more simple and more fitting ode to summer than this.
Savory Tomato Pesto Recipe
- 1 cup homemade pastry or store-bought puff pastry
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes halved
- 1 – 1 1/2 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 2 tablespoon pesto
- Salt to taste
- Few cranks of black pepper
- 2 tablespoon mint leaves roughly chopped
1. Preheat the oven to 180 C or 350 F
2. Roll out the dough into a 8 inch circle about 1/4 inch thick. Prick all over with a fork to prevent puffing leaving about an inch edge around the perimeter untouched.
3. Blind bake this pastry dough for about 6 – 8 minutes till golden brown. I weighed this down with an oven safe bowl with some beans to keep the center unpuffed.
4. Remove from oven and then layer the mustard and pesto over the base. Leave the edges as is.
5. Arrange the tomatoes in rows or circles. Sprinkle with salt and pepper.
6. Put it back in the oven and bake on middle shelf for about 12 minutes or so till the tomatoes are cooked at the edges and pastry is brown at the edges.
7. Remove from the oven and let cool a bit.
Cut and serve warm.