What do you do when its summer, hot and mangoes are in season?
Besides the usual way to of eating mangoes (slice, dice, juice etc), you make mango popsicles. They are so easy to make. Homemade allows you greater control over the quality of ingredients ( organic, low sugar ) so in general these are healthier than any store-bought ones ( if you at all can find the ones in the flavors you want easily). And they taste of the fruit rather than weird artificial flavors.
I had a can of coconut milk at home so instead of using regular milk/cream I used the coconut cream. That makes this diary free and paleo diet friendly though I suppose you could make the same with greek yogurt as well.
If you don’t have popsicle molds, hmmm…., go get some! They are cheap, fun and kids love them. For the being, if you must make this tonight and don’t have molds, set this in an airtight container. Churn 2 – 3 times. If the coconut cream you use is full fat then you will be rewarded with a creamy mango ice-cream. If it’s a lite version, then it wont be as creamy but finger licking good nevertheless.
And if you are amongst the few who hate the taste of coconut, I can assure you the taste is very subtle. It wouldn’t stop me from making this if I were you 😉
The recipe (if mixing few ingredients and sticking them in the freezer in a mold can be called as a recipe ) is below.
Mango Coconut Popsicle Recipe
- 3 cups freshly squeezed mango pulp
- 1 cup coconut cream ( the fatty layer from the top half of can of coconut milk)
- 1/4 cup sugar ( optional)
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
1. Combine the mango pulp with coconut cream and lemon juice. Add sugar if needed depending on how sweet/ sour the mangoes are. Blend. Fill in popsicle molds.
2. Freeze for at least 4 – 5 hours ( to overnight).
3. To de-mold, run the molds under warm water. Remove from the mold with a sharp pull.
Quick. Enjoy before they melt!