Cheese, whole milk, elaborate process, whisking. This recipe is an exact antidote to that.
One pot prep. Healthy. No added sugar. And Varun approved to boot.
Cornmeal, pumpkin and applesauce come together in these muffins to create a naturally sweetened muffin which is great for breakfast with eggs ( or just coffee), after school snack or with chili for dinner.
It has fiber, good carbs and protein.
And did I say no oil, sugar or butter.
They freeze well in an airtight container and are perfect to be made on weekend when your toddler naps or when he wants to help in the kitchen and you are ok with a little mess.
Microwave when needed for a minute for a healthy snack with a pat of peanut butter or as is.
Cornmeal Pumpkin Muffins Recipe
- 1 cup cornmeal
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup pumpkin puree
- 1 cup applesauce
- 1 large egg
- 2 teaspoons sugar for dusting on top (optional, incase you need things to be a little sweet)
- 2 – 3 tablespoons chopped almonds, walnuts for crunchy topping.
1. Pre-heat oven to 350 F. Line a muffin pan with paper cups.
2. In the meantime, mix all the dry ingredients ( cornmeal, flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt) in a large bowl or a stand mixer.
Dump pumpkin puree, applesauce and egg in the same bowl.
Mix well for couple of minutes ( by hand) or a minute, if using a mixer on low-speed.
3. Scoop the mixture in paper cups.
Dust with sugar. Sprinkle chopped nuts.
4. Bake for 20 – 25 minutes till a tooth pick inserted comes out clean.
Enjoy warm or frezee for later.