Vipul is on to Phase 2 of South beach diet. This simply means he can introduce carbs back into his diet.
One serving for a few days and then add another for a total of 3- 4 servings of complex carbs and two servings of low sugar fruits ( apples, pears etc).
The idea of the whole exercise is to eat more vegetables ( 4 1/2 cups non starchy vegetables), complex carbohydrates, good fat and good protein.
As goes with diets, you get bored with the routine and need something warm and bold to shake up the routine.
Leeks and Fennel provide that exactly. Both have their own unique flavors. And I was worried how they would pair. I have never cooked with leeks before and have only recently “discovered” fennel. I saw online recipes that paired them with citrus fruits, tomatoes or even potatoes. But since all of those were out of question, I decide to give a try with red bell pepper and zucchini to tone down the flavors.
And this was an experiment, I prayed would succeed. Else poor Vipul has nothing for dinner 😦
Luckily this is one pairing that worked in favor. Vipul liked the salad. The crunch of red bell pepper and zucchini is satisfying. Mushrooms and celery would be good too.Next morning, he even used this salad as a base to make fried eggs and he loved that combination even more.
Serve this salad with poached eggs, some citrus fruits and you are set for a healthy and nourishing meal.
Hope you like it as well.
Braised Leeks and Fennel Salad Recipe
- 2 Leeks, roots trimmed, outer firmer leaves removed and washed.
- 1 Fennel bulb, trimmed and quartered (discard stalks; save some fennel fronds for garnish)
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice (or orange juice )
- 1 teaspoon canola oil
- 1/2 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin seeds
- Pinch of chili powder
- Salt to taste
1. Quarter the leeks and cut them into 1 inch segments. Wash again if necessary and set aside on a towel to dry.
2. Thinly slice the fennel bulb , discarding the tough base. Marinate it in lemon juice and salt for at least 30 minutes.
3. Heat oil in a pan. Once heated, add garlic and cumin seeds. Saute them taking care not to burn it for a minute or so.
4. Add the leeks and cook for a minute, working the pan to avoid charring the leeks. Add the chili powder. Mix well.
Saute for another couple of minutes till tender.
Taste and adjust salt.
5. Remove the leeks in a bowl. Layer the fennel with the marinade over the leeks. Layer the zucchini and lastly the red bell pepper.
Toss well and serve immediately garnished with fennel fronds.