Everyday Dinner: Skillet Grilled Cheesy Whole Wheat Quesadillas
Would you like a cheese paratha?
Varun’s aunt asked him during one of our visits to Mumbai. His default answer. No.
Knowing that this is something he would like, I asked her to make one for me instead.
And when he saw the crunchy, cheese oozing paratha, he wanted to have one too.
Recently we bought whole wheat tortillas and while preparing a salad for Vipul, I wondered about our dinner. It had to be quick and easy, since Varun wouldn’t allow me to tinker around in the kitchen for long.
A cheese paratha inspired whole wheat quesadillas were born.
Spring onion, cilantro and ginger were quickly sliced up and mixed with a bit of salt and paprika. Cheese was grated and added to the mix.
A tortilla roasted on the skillet. The mix spread out, tortilla folded and then grilled on other side.
Within minutes, we had a piping hot meal that was enjoyed by all ( Vipul had one wedge as the aroma of grilled cheese was hard to resist!)
Skillet Grilled Cheesy Whole Wheat Quesadillas Recipe
Makes 2 servings
- 2- Ready made whole wheat tortillas or roti (from Indian stores)
- 1/2 cup grated cheddar cheese
- 2 spring onions sliced ( white and green parts)
- 1/2 inch knob of ginger root peeled and minced
- Handful of cilantro leaves finely chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika or red chili powder
- Salt to taste
- 1 teaspoon oil for grilling
1. Mix all the ingredients from cheese to salt in a bowl. Taste and adjust for seasonings.
2. In a skillet, heat a whole wheat tortilla. One heated, flip it over. Spoon the cheese mixture liberally and fold in half. Cook on each side for a minute or so till the cheese melts. Take care that the tortilla doesn’t burn.
3. Cut into wedges and serve warm with fresh fruits and salad.
Posted on January 22, 2014, in Entrees, Food and tagged Cheese, Food, grilled cheese, Kid Friendly, paratha, Photography, Quesadillas, Quick and Easy, Recipe, Tortilla, Vegetarian, Whole wheat. Bookmark the permalink. Leave a comment.