Butternut Squash and Black Beans Burgers
Taking a break from the desserts that I have been posting here lately, I wanted to share with you a recipe for a really tasty, sweet and spicy veggie burger. After all a little bit of spice is nice.
No, no, I hope I didn’t lose you at “veggie” or the “spicy” part. These are damn good vegetarian burgers. Vipul who doesn’t care for veggie burgers enjoyed them . Thats saying a lot! And hence the atypical second post for today.
Butternut squash is so good for us – fiber, beta carotene, loaded with Vitamin A and C and even folate – it is a super food in itself. Pair it with black beans – a protein powerhouse- you have a healthy and filling burger. A can of black beans saves some hassle and roasting the squash brings out its natural sweetness. Paired with some chili powder, cumin and ginger, the patty dough is tasty as is.
Mustard and ketchup are the simple accompaniments to keep the focus on the flavors of the patty.
The best part, it can be made ahead and kept frozen for a quick weeknight healthy meal.
Give it a try this weekend. I guarantee even pickiest of eaters will love it.
Butternut Squash and Black Bean Burgers Recipe
- 2 cups butternut squash, peeled and cubed
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1 teaspoon cumin seeds
- 1/2 teaspoon red chili powder
- 1/2 + 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 can black beans, drained
- 1/2 inch knob of ginger root, grated
- 1/4 teaspoon green chili pepper finely diced
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons freshly chopped cilantro leaves
- 1/4 cup bread crumbs
- 1 tablespoon canola oil to fry the patties
1. Preheat the oven to 350 F. Toss the squash cubes with olive oil, cumin seeds, chili powder and salt. Bake for 30 mins till tender. It should be easy to mash them up with a spoon.
2. In the meantime, wash the black beans well and marinate them in lemon juice, ginger root, green chili pepper and salt. Set aside till the squash is done.
3. Remove the squash from the oven. Let it cool a bit. Mash it well with back of a spoon.
4. Mix the squash, black beans and bread crumbs. Taste and adjust seasonings. Shape into patties.
5. Heat oil in a frying pan and fry the patties about a minute or two on each side taking care not to char them.
Serve them on sandwich or burger or in enchiladas or simply as is with a bit of mustard and ketchup!
Posted on December 21, 2013, in Entrees, Food and tagged Black BEans, Burger, Butternut Squash, Food, Gluten Free, Healthy, phase 2, Quick and Easy Dinner, Recipe, South beach diet, Spicy and Sweet, vegan, Vegetarian. Bookmark the permalink. 3 Comments.