August is THE happening month in our family. Birthdays, warm weather ( when we were in Seattle), rainy season ( to cool things off in India), and not to mention festivals. Bonalu and Ramzan in Hyderabad in addition to the other festivals that typically are in August. I remember staying up all night with my friends for Gurupoornima listening to their homage to our music guru – different ragas for different phases of the night ending with Bhairavi in early morning . I recall the coconut barfis made by mom for the Narali Poornima. I feel nostalgic for the day of rakshaa bandhan when we all descended at my uncle’s home and tied rakhis.
And not to mention the monsoon trek with college friends to some waterfalls around Karjat area as well as family picnic to one of the lakes/waterfalls to enjoy more of the same.
This year, however, our august has been very quiet. Filled with illness, spiking fevers, coughs and colds, multiple doctor visits. Both Varun and I have been out of sorts for a while now and hence the lack of activity on the blog.
Today, after ages, it seems like we are doing well and hence I ventured to make some pistachio scones. The warm scones and their cardamom flavored aroma was to entice some appetite back and pistachios to give some much-needed fat to Varun.
This is a simple recipe. Very easy to put together and make. It’s an unusual scone in the sense it doesn’t have the usual fare – almonds or chocolate. It’s lightly sweetened and low fat.
Pistachio Scones recipe
- 1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- Pinch of salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground cardamom
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 5 tablespoon butter ( at room temperature)
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup pistachios chopped ( unsalted, toasted and shelled)
1. Preheat the oven to 180 C or 350 F
2. Add all the dry ingredients and mix well ( flour through cardamom powder).
3. In a separate bowl, cream the butter with sugar for couple of minutes. Add eggs and whisk for another couple of minutes.
4. Fold the butter-eggs mixture into the dry ingredients. Add pistachios. Mix well.
5. Form a log and bake for about 22 – 25 minutes till golden brown.
Let cool , slice and serve warm.