Pan Fried Tofu – A Quick Dinner Idea
Do you get in a salad rut? I know I do.
I get bored with eating it and look for ways to add some sizzle to them. In US, I used to buy baked savory tofu. I haven’t found it here. So instead of marinating and baking tofu, I pan-fried it.
And let me tell you it was a delicious accident. I wasn’t sure how this will turn out. But over salad, it was perfect. Crisp on the outside, flavorful and soft on the inside.
The tofu that I had on hand was firmer and drier than ‘extra firm’ kind in US. You may need to keep the tofu sandwiched between plates and with weights to take excess moisture out before marinating the tofu. While the tofu marinates, chop the salad. Add dressing of your choice ( simple lemon juice works too). Pan-fry the tofu slices and then serve over salad.
Gotta love quick and easy recipes! And serendipitous accidents!!
Pan Fried Tofu Recipe
- 1 block Extra Firm Tofu
- 1 tablespoon Siracha sauce
- 2 tablespoon Hoisin sauce
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- Few mint leaves coarsely chopped
- 1 inch ginger root, peeled and freshly grated
- 1 inch lemongrass stalk chopped (optional)
- 1 tablespoon oil
1. Remove the tofu from its package. Keep it pressed between 2 plates and weigh the plate with some canned beans or books. After 15 – 20 minutes, enough water will be removed from tofu that it can be sliced and marinated.
Slice it into large pieces.
2. Mix all the marinade ingredients and pour the marinade over the tofu. Set aside for 10 -15 minutes.
3. Heat oil in a pan. Fry tofu slices till golden brown.
Keep an eye out this chars quickly and no one likes charred tofu 😉