Ambe Dal – Split Black Chickpeas and Raw Mango Salad
On hot summer weekends there is less incentive to cook. But there is greater craving to eat something unique and cooling. Maharashtrian style Ambe dal made up of soaked black chickpeas dal and raw mango is one such salad that comes together quickly. Made with seasonal ingredients it packs protein and fiber.
Raw mangoes add sourness to the salad while the chilies add heat. Paired with raw mango cooler it is a perfect snack. Mom used to make this and refrigerate this for after school snacking. Tangy and refreshing this was a filling snack.
Try it this spring or summer while raw mangoes are still in season!
Ambe Dal Recipe
- 1 cup split black chickpeas ( channa dal )
- 1/2 cup grated raw mango
- 2 tablespoon freshly chopped coriander
- 1-2 chilies finely chopped
- Salt to taste
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 1 teaspoon mustard seeds
- 1/4 teaspoon hing or asafoetida
- Finely chopped coriander
- Freshly grated coconut
1.Soak dal in 2-3 times water overnight or at least for 4- 5 hours. The dal will double in volume.
2. Drain the dal and coarsely grind it.
3. Mix with grated mango, coriander ,chilies and salt.
4. Heat oil in a small pan. Add hing and mustard seeds till they sizzle. Add this oil to the dal mix. Mix well. Taste and adjust seasonings (mainly salt, coriander, raw mango). Refrigerate for an hour or so.
Garnish with coriander or grated coconut. Serve cold with raw mango cooler or any mango drink.
Posted on April 29, 2013, in Food, Salads and Slaws and tagged Aambe Dal, Ambe dal, Black chickpea, Dairy free, Food, Gluten Free, Raw mango, Recipe, salad, seasonal, Summer, vegan, Vegetarian. Bookmark the permalink. 3 Comments.