Crumbly Whole Wheat Pineapple Bread
We moved offices last week at work and a couple of folks asked me when I would bring in sweets to inaugurate my new office. I didn’t really plan on any such thing but do I really need an excuse to bake?
I had a fresh pineapple at home, Vipul was working over the weekend, Varun was asleep – so it was meant to be. A quick search led to many recipes on Pineapple cake but I wanted a bread or a loaf recipe. Some tweaks led me to recipes that needed coconut milk, bananas or sour cream – none of which I had on my hand. I only had pineapple, eggs, whole wheat flour and bit of desiccated coconut.
I was about to give up when I found one recipe which had these ingredients and then I followed it. The bread came out to be lightly pineapple-y and crumbly but tasty nonetheless.
I let it cool overnight before bringing it to work. It was a perfect start to a Monday morning meeting. Totally unexpected, low in sugar and with a crumbly texture. Low efforts and high returns! Make sure you have enough napkins on hand to avoid crumbs all over your office floor!
Excuse the poor mobile camera photos – I didn’t realize that the loaf would be gone before I could take any decent pictures.
Crumbly Whole Wheat Pineapple Bread Recipe
- 2 cups whole wheat flour
- 1/2 cup desiccated coconut
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup butter, softened at room temperature
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 cup pineapple chunks ( drained if canned)
- 1 1/2 tablespoon brown sugar
1. Pre-heat the oven to 350 F. Butter a loaf pan and set aside.
2. Sift and mix all the dry ingredients from whole wheat flour through cinnamon and set aside.
3. Beat the eggs with butter till pale yellow. Then add sugar and beat till smooth. Mix in the vanilla.
4. Fold in the egg mixture with the flour mix. Add pineapples and mix well.
5. Pour the mix into loaf pan. Sprinkle the brown sugar on top.
6. Bake for 45 – 55 minutes till a toothpick inserted comes out clean.
Cool completely before slicing. Serve with coffee or tea as the perfect afternoon snack!