Watermelon Labneh Parfait
I recently joined The Daring Kitchen, an online community where everyone month a new challenging recipe or technique is posted and enthusiasts around the world recreate it and post their results.
I was too late for their March 2013 Cheese Making Challenge, but I decided to try it out regardless. There were a few recipes shared on true cheeses like Mozzarella and Goat cheese. But as I didn’t have necessary ingredients on hand, I decided to go with a soft cheese recipe for Labneh. Labneh is a soft breakfast cheese made from yogurt. Besides being yogurt based, it actually needs no other ingredients and is a recipe ( if I can call hanging a yogurt to drain the whey a recipe) that works on its own.
Hanging the yogurt to remove its moisture is a typical first step in making Srikhand – a very traditional Maharashtrian desert. I remember days when my mom used to do this to create a very dry curd base called – chakka and then mix it with sugar, saffron or mango pulp to make Srikhand and Amrakhand. A creamy desert loved by kids and adults alike!
Using labneh, I wanted to make a modern version of this traditional Indian desert. So instead of a sweet nutty desert, I served it as a light breakfast parfait complete with saffron and pistachios.
Pairing the crunchy watermelons chunks with the soft creamy labneh is an exotic way to start your day. Top it with a dollop of orange marmalade and honey for a touch of sweetness, while pistachios elevated the crunch factor. I surprised Vipul with these on a weekday morning by serving them in wine goblets as they allowed for a generous serving. Varun was excited by the colorful watermelon while I loved the crunchiness of pistachios and watermelon against the creamy labneh. I would love to try this with mangoes in summer. Though I think any fruit would work just as well -strawberries, blueberries, peaches!
A perfect start to any day where you want to feel like you are on vacation even though tons of work awaits you. Bliss in a glass when stresses abound. Try it. Am sure it will help you escape your daily work realities!
Watermelon Labneh Parfait Recipe
- 32 Oz container of full fat yogurt
- 1 generous pinch – Saffron strands
- Watermelon chunks – 1 cup
- 2 tablespoon marmalade or honey
- 1/4 cup pistachios -coarsely chopped
1. Take a clean white non terry cloth ( muslin or large men’s cotton handkerchief) and place yogurt in it. Tie it into a bundle. Place it in a colander with a bowl underneath to collect the whey. Let this drain in the refrigerator for a few hours to overnight to drain.
2. Squeeze excess whey out of the yogurt before opening the yogurt bundle. Whisk the strained yogurt labneh with saffron to make it smooth and creamy.
3. In serving glasses, layer watermelon, labneh and pistachios. Drizzle some honey on top or scoop in orange marmalade. Top with pistachios.
Chill for a couple of hours to overnight. Serve chilled.
Posted on March 21, 2013, in Breakfast, Food and tagged Breakfast, Daring Kitchen, Food, Food photography, Gluten Free, Labneh, March 2013 Challenge, Parafits, phase 2, Recipe, South beach diet, Watermelon. Bookmark the permalink. Leave a comment.