Heart Shaped Healthy Red Velvet Cupcakes
I wanted to make an orange-chocolate bread for tomorrow, Valentine’s day but came home and saw that we are out of yeast. I didn’t have the heart to go out and get some so I flipped through foodgawker for some inspiration.
I came across a skinny and low-fat version of classic Red velvet cupcake. Red in color, heart-shaped and skinny. I was sold.
Luckily I had most of the ingredients on hand and 30 mins later we have light moist cupcakes on hand. I had to alter the recipe a bit as I didn’t have beets and orange zest on hand but the cupcakes still turned out to be awesome. A lovely red color without tasting like food color. Whole wheat, fresh cream and low sugar means they are good for my little Valentine – Varun.
They were meant for tomorrow’s breakfast but ended up in tonight’s dessert. Not too many photos as they are flying fast. Hopefully I can save some to take in to work tomorrow!
Heart Shaped Red Velvet Cupcake Recipe
Makes 9 regular cupcakes.
- 3/4 cup Whole wheat Flour or Atta
- 1 Tbsp Cocoa Powder
- 1 Tspn Baking powder
- 1/2 Tspn Baking soda
- Pinch of Salt
- 3/4 cup low-fat yogurt
- 3 Tbsp Canola oil (or any vegetable oil)
- 1 Tspn Food color red
- 1 egg
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 2 Tbsp fresh cream
1. Pre-heat the oven to 180 C . Line cupcake liners on to a pan.
2. Measure and mix the dry ingredients in a bowl ( flour, cocoa, baking powder, soda and salt). Set aside.
3. In a separate bowl, whisk the yogurt with oil till incorporated for about a minute of two. Add food color and whisk for another 30 seconds.
4. Beat the egg till pale yellow and then add sugar and beat for another couple of minutes. Add fresh cream and beat again.
5. Add the yogurt mix and egg mix to the flour mix. Mix well. Spoon in the cupcake liners till 3/4 full.
6. For heart shapes, roll aluminum foil into balls. Gently nudge each cupcake and insert the ball to create a heart shape. Or use a marble if you have one handy.
7. Bake for 15 – 16 mins. Cool and enjoy. With cream cheese frosting if you want to indulge!