Lure of Store Brought Chicken Nuggets & A Recipe for Home Made Ones
In Mumbai, Varun developed a taste for chicken nuggets. You know, the kind you get in super market’s frozen department and you have to simply shallow fry them in the pan. I wasn’t sure how healthy they are given that they are frozen and possibly laden with fat and preservatives but thought that an occasional treat of them should be fine.
Back in Hyderabad, when my efforts to get him to eat more veggies were not going as successfully as I had hoped for ( couple of spoonful’s of red pepper carrot soup and maybe half a pumpkin biscuit), I thought I will coax him back to the dinning table with some chicken nuggets. Afterall he had devoured them and asked for more when we were in Mumbai. A quick search on the Internet came up with easy recipes of chicken nuggets ( some fried, some baked) but nevertheless made with 3 – 4 main ingredients: Chicken breast, Egg Wash , Bread crumbs ( or corn flakes crumb) and oil. Add Spices for taste but they varied by taste and what folks had on hand.
Luckily, last night, I had everything needed on hand and so I set off to make Varun some chicken nuggets. Dice, dip and fry. Within minutes we had these ready. Vipul had one and reached for more as I was frying them. I had to stop him from eating more as they were meant for Varun.
Varun probably had a bite before running away. But they were so good, that I almost rejoiced ‘More for me! Yay’. The stern look on Vipul’s face made me control my outburst. After all, they were made for Varun. To make him eat healthy food. We couldn’t just hijack his food without trying to get to eat. So, we chased him, distracted him and with every bite that we tried to give him, we ate a nibble here and there.
An hour later, Varun didn’t touch them but we ate them all. With lemon juice sprinkled all over. Seriously, they are that good. You just can’t stop at one! And luckily, as all the ingredients were known and helathy, it was guilt – free. Well, all most guilt free since Varun didn’t have any.
The recipe doubles and freezes well for mid-week toddler or even adult dinner with a huge salad.
Our consolation hopefully by eating healthy and home cooked food, he will soon learn a taste for different foods. Challenging times ahead!
Chicken Nuggets Recipe
- 1 Chicken breast at room temperature
- 2 Bread slices toasted ( or bread crumbs)
- 1/2 teaspoon : Pepper, Paprika and Parsley ( each)
- 1 Egg
- 1 tablespoon water
- Salt to taste
- 1 tablespoon Olive oil
- Lemon juice ( optional)
1. Slice the chicken breast in half or pound it till its thin. Dice into bite sized nuggets. Set aside.
2. Crumble bread crumbs or toast into fine crumbs. Add the spices and salt. Mix well. And set aside on a large open plate.
3. Beat the egg with a little bit of water and keep it in a shallow bowl.
4. Dip the chicken breast first in egg wash and then in the crumbs-spice mix. Set aside on a fresh plate. Repeat for all nuggets.
5. Heat oil in a pan on a medium flame. Once the nuggets are all prepared, fry them a few at a time till they are golden brown on each side ( a couple of minutes on each side)
6. Sprinkle with lemon juice and serve warm. Or Freeze once cool for mid-week snack.