Fresh toor (pigeon peas) pods have made an appearance in the market. A sucker for anything new or different ( Durians in Singapore, bush fig in Australia, chicken feet at Dim Sum in Redmond!) I bought a bunch of them.
I knew between the two mom’s and aunts I will find a recipe for it.
A couple of calls later, I had a sweet and spicy Gujarati toor patties recipe. Narrated in a typical mom fashion – a pinch of this, a dash of that mixed with wheat flour, steamed and fried will give me some patties that I could eat on their own, dunk in ketchup or tamarind chutney.
First task was shelling these little pods. Vipul rolled his eyes and walked out of the kitchen as fast as he could. Varun on the other hand was very enthusiastic. He helped me shell them – though he ate them while we shelled leaving me finally with a measly bowl of shelled peas.
Undeterred I went ahead and grabbed a bit of this and a dash of that, mixed them with sweet jaggery- water, cooked them in pressure cooker and formed patties that were shallow fried with a coating of sesame seeds for an extra crunch.
The sweetness of jaggery is subtle while the tender peas shine in this recipe.Served with ketchup they were devoured in no time! Though you can serve them with ragda, tamarind chutney or even mint chutney.
Try these with tender peas or beans, am sure they will be a huge hit with toddlers and adults alike. If you can manage to save any post shelling that is.
Sweet and Spicy Fresh Toor Patties Recipe
- 1 cup shelled fresh toor peas (or peas or beans)
- 1 1/2 cups whole wheat flour
- 1 1/2 tbsp ginger grated
- 1 -2 chilies finely minced
- 1 tsp red chilli powder
- 1 tsp turmeric powder
- 2-3 sprigs fresh coriander leaves finely chopped ( optional)
- 1 tsp ajwain seeds
- 1/4 tsp hing powder
- 1 tbsp salt ( adjust to taste)
- 1 1/2 tbsp oil + 1 tbsp for frying
- 2 tbsp jaggery (or brown sugar)
- 3/4 cup water
- 1/4 cup sesame seeds
1. Take whole wheat flour in a largish shallow dish. Add ginger, chillies, chili powder, turmeric powder, corriange leaves, ajwain seeds , hing and salt to the flour.
2. Heat 1 1/2 tbsp oil in a small skillet taking care not to smoke it. Once heated for a couple of minutes, add it to the flour. Mix well using a spoon taking care as the oil will be hot!
3. Mix jaggery with water and microwave this for 30- 40 secs till the jaggery melts into the water. Add this sweetened water to the flour. Mix well and knead the dough.
4. Soak the peas in water , barely covering them. Pressure cook the dough and peas for 2 whistles. Let it cool. Take out the steamed dough and peas. Mix them well.
5. Take sesame seeds onto a platter. Add a little bit of salt to them. Mix well.
6. Shape the dough into patties. Press them onto seasame seeds. Keep the patties ready.
7. Heat up a shallow pan with oil for frying. Fry the patties till golden on each side for about 2 minutes.
Do ahead: The patties can be shaped and partially fried. Wrap in a foil and freeze them. To serve, bring them to room temperature, warm them in a skillet or on in an oven.