Toddler Travel Packing Trips
On our first trip with Varun, we packed everything but the kitchen sink. My parents were travelling with us as well so that added to the list. Now, unless we are on a road trip, we try to take less.
This is what we carry if we are staying in a resort for 4-5 days. The list is pared down if we are staying with family where we know we can get diapers, food and medication from known stores.
What to pack:
- Day clothes – T-shirts and shorts. 2 pairs / per day.
- Night clothes – 1 set /per day. We keep them on till breakfast so they tend to get messy.
- Diapers – I carry @ the rate of 4 /per day. Mainly because I don’t get the Pampers XL size everywhere in India. Other brands don’t work well with Varun. Also, as the diapers get used, it makes room for souvenirs.
- Wipes – 1 unopened packet + 1 in diaper bag
- Milk pouches – Single serving size ones @ rate of 2/ day. This helps when we are sight seeing outside the resort. Varun has had diarrhea when he has outside milk, so I don’t risk this while travelling.
- Snacks – Cheerios, Coco puffs, Raisins, crackers, puffed rice. Carry a ziplock full and check it in.
- Medicines – Tylenol, Ibuprofen, Baby Vaporub, something for diarrhea and loose motions, something for vomiting. Dont forget thermometer, band aids and your pediatricians phone number.
- Cap and Socks in a Zip lock bag – so you wont lose those tiny ones in the suitcase.
- Moisturizer and baby oil
- Diaper cream
- Mosquito repellant
- Shoes ( he wears a pair, we don’t pack another one)
- Books – Board books or bigger books. 3-4 of his favorite ones, coloring book or blank pages
- Toys – Sorting, stacking toys, ball, one small car,Pool toys – sand pail, sifter and various small spoons and scoops, a few balloons and stickers
- Bottle Cleaning supplies – Bottle brush and Liquid soap bottle or a sponge dipped in liquid soap and frozen. Dip/Soak generously before putting it in fridge. Then cut it into small pieces. Each piece can be used to wash a bottle. Is less messy.
- Swim wear (SPF 50 + ) and swim diapers.
- Painters tape – Cover ‘low’ outlets, play with, hold together broken toys etc
- Zip lock bags – Large one for anything and everything – contain messy clothes, food, dirty diapers etc.
What to buy locally:
- Bottled water ( if necessary)
- Fruits – Bananas, Oranges, Apples – anything with a peel if you are in SE Asia
- Couple of local toys from street vendor – for that novel toy on return flight
What we stopped carrying:
- Baby high chair. Yes – I carried that couple of times and Varun didn’t use it. What a waste of space.
- Lot of toys – Varun plays with whatever he sees in the resort – from menu cards to drawing with pen on resort’s letter pad, playing with the safe etc. Mostly he loves to run.
- Baby food – Most places you get fresh food – rice, yogurt, fruits, eggs, bread, jam, pasta. Varun has been happy to try it and loves any meat on a stick – even if he is fussy about it at home.
- Car seat– Again because we are in India and don’t use a car seat anymore.
Do you carry anything else that makes your life easier? Feel free to share in comments below.