A million things are happening
We are moving in exactly 2 weeks!
Fortunately, Microsoft takes care of relocation. It would be next to impossible to move on our own on such short notice without this benefit.We are assigned a relocation co-ordinator who is our primary contact. In our initial meeting, he walked us through the relocation benefits and gave us an overview of all the things we have to take care of before we leave, from immigration consulation, tax consultation, actual move consultation, sell the cars, rent or sell the house to getting reimbursements for approved expenses/losses. Also he gave an overview of the things he will take care for us, like booking flight tickets, rental cars, accomodation on arrival to introducing us to MS approved vendors for the move ( packers and movers, house rental agency, real estate agent, tax consultants etc).
Even with so much taken care of, it seems like we have a zillion things to do before we leave.
This is our To do List:
- Meet with couple of real estate agents to discuss selling the house ( probable price, market trends, sales strategy etc)
- Meet with rental agency to discuss rental option ( possible rent, fees, expenses etc)
- Number crunching spreadsheet – Rent or Sell
- India Tax consulation
- US Tax consulation
- India immigration checklist
- US immigration checklist
- Pre-move survey – to figure out how much more we can take with us 😉
- Schedule the move
- Needs analysis – to help figure out what we need on arrival in Hyderabad ( driving lessons, language lessons, schools/daycare, housing etc)
- Investments analysis – Figure out what to do with 401K and other retirement investments
- Furniture Shopping
- Staging the house/ making it market ready – Meet with couple of agencies to get quotes on staging as well as repairs/painting etc
- Research rental lease agreements ( this is so personal, you cant just copy someone elses!)
- Lookup how to transfer utilities
- Look into mail forwarding
- Sell the cars, pay off loan, transfer the ownership/ register the sale in DMV
- Put stuff for sale on Craigslist/ MS Classified ( follow up in timely manner)
- Sort/ Donate/ Throw
- Talk to folks in Hyderabad about their move experience, do’s and dont’s
- Get Varun’s health records
- Print photobook (of our time in Seattle)
- Help our nanny find another position ( follow up on questions/ give reference etc)
- Plan meals around persihable food stuff that we cannot take with us
- Give away house plants
- Organize a party to finish all the booze in the house 🙂
True to my profession, I have an Excel spreadsheet with details on things to sell, buy, donate; their costs, where I have put it for sell etc as well as status of these things and follow up actions.
Most of the day is spent on finishing up on current work items, transitioning them to new owners as well as following up on this ginormous To-do list.
Luckily, it will be over and done with in 2 weeks and we will be able to finally breathe a sigh! Till then, back to the spreadsheet, flurry of emails, phone calls and txt messages.