What do you folks plan for dinner every day? Its a big challenge around here. Sure, we have a cook – perks of being in India, but her cooking is a bit on oily side. Coupled with my sweet tooth it doesn’t help my waist line. So our weeknight dinner is very simple and casual.
- Big bowl of salad with some protein (usually boiled eggs, sometimes chicken breast, rarely fish)
- Crunchy salad with bell pepper, beans, onions and cabbage with a simple seasonings ( lemon juice, salt, pepper and a dash of paprika)
- Plain rice (or 2 roti’s) with dal, stir fried vegetables and small side of salad
- Curd rice with lemon pickle
- Breakfast as dinner – omelet with bread, fried egg on toast
- Pasta with marinara or pesto sauce
- Stir fried rice with lots of veggies and beans (kidney beans, chickpeas, etc)
- Stir fried noodles with veggies and tofu
- Sandwich with basic cheese, peanut butter and a hint of jam
- Maggi (or instant cup-o -noodles)
We have experimented with chicken tenders, meatballs and rotisserie chicken when we were in US but they were not a big hit (especially the rotisserie chicken which I thought was too oily). In Redmond,
- Grilled Halibut and Salmon was our staple on Monday nights.
- Tacos featured regularly.
- Canned soup with grilled cheese sandwich was the old standby.
- Quinoa with chicken/eggs or tofu was a regular as well.
What do your weeknight meals look like? Soups, stews or salads? Crockpot meals or pre-packaged ready to eat single serve TV dinners? Or do you do take out like us? Pizza nights? Do share!